There is general consensus in the construction industry that the best-built projects have many critical problems anticipated and solved in the Pre-construction Phase, before any construction begins. By far, the largest percentage of potential cost savings is identified through Owner / Architect / Construction Manager / Subcontractor cooperation before designs are finalized and before any subcontracts are awarded. Working with our network of construction trade specialists, The Big Gator’s Estimating – Purchasing – Project Management experience, in consultation with our subcontractor and supplier relationships, will be able to develop numerous cost savings and value engineering recommendations for all types of building systems during the Project Pre-construction Phase and continue throughout the project. We take an approach to eliminate unforeseen change orders by being involved at an early stage.
Our scope of Pre-construction Services typically proceeds as follows:
- Consult with, advise, assist and make cost control and value engineering recommendations to the Owner and his design professionals on all aspects of the Project’s planning/design
- Prepare and periodically update a preliminary Construction Schedule and Cost Estimate
- Study design alternatives for cost effectiveness and construction feasibility
- Review drawings and specifications for coordination
- Develop subcontractor interest in the Project and prepare a list of prequalified subcontractor bidders for the approval of the Owner and his design professionals
- Define scopes of work for each building trade and assemble bid packages
- Obtain bids from approved subcontractors
- Formalize the Project Construction Schedule
- Develop an accurate budget for the Project Construction for the Owner’s approval
- Recommend to the Owner and his design professionals a schedule of procurement for materials and equipment which require long lead times for delivery
- Award subcontracts and prepare contract documents
The Big Gator’s Estimators, Project Managers and Field Superintendents recognize that on-time completion within budget is one of the most important goals of any construction project. We pride ourselves on controlling a project by first developing a plan to fit the Owner’s needs and then formalizing the plan into a project budget and schedule based upon the required labor, equipment, material, money and time available to complete the work. The Project Management Control System established for each project provides a comprehensive means of structuring all aspects of a project – scheduling, cost control, expediting and documentation.
- Subcontractor bid solicitations are initiated and managed using several solicitation systems such as The Blue Book and conventional bid listing, to ensure a broad collection of competitive bids from our suppliers and subcontractors.
- Project communications such as letters, transmittal’s, reports, submittal Requests For Information, financial reports, drawing revisions and permits are created and tracked using our software.
- Scheduling and graphics are created and presented using our project management software. Detailed cost information for generating reports such as subcontractor and supplier billings and payments is managed using our billing software.
- The Big Gator’s Commercial Construction Division offers access to a team link which allows secure specific project web based access to all reporting, scheduling, progress photos, plans, and more for our clients, architects, engineers and other team members.
Most of the management responsibility for the project shifts from the Estimating/Purchasing Department to the Project Management Staff when the project is ready to move into the Construction Phase. A large part of The Big Gator’s excellent reputation is attributed to the performance of our well trained, experienced Project Managers and Field Superintendents who carry out a systematic sequence of activities during the Construction Phase.
As soon as on-site construction is ready to begin, our scope of Construction Services proceeds as follows:
- Maintain a competent, full-time Field Superintendent in an office trailer at the job site to supervise layout and to coordinate and provide general direction of the work and progress of the subcontractors on the site.
- Regularly inspect the work as it is being performed for contract compliance and quality control until final completion and acceptance by the Owner and his/her design professionals.
- Establish and implement procedures to be followed for expediting and processing all shop drawings, sample submittals, catalog cuts and other project papers.
- Establish and implement effective programs relating to safety, security, job site records, labor relations, EEO and progress reports.
- Establish and implement procedures to be followed for Change order processing and administration.
- Maintain standard accounting systems for project cost control, reporting and record keeping.
- Review and process all applications for payments submitted by trade subcontractors and material suppliers in accordance with the terms of their contracts Review and process all applications for payments submitted by trade subcontractors and material suppliers in accordance with the terms of their contracts.
- Schedule and conduct job site meetings as frequently as necessary to discuss schedule updating and orderly progress of work.